The Life Science Platform was established in 2013 upon the approval by Shenzhen Development and Reform Commission, which mainly provides all-around support for life sciences and other related disciplines. The persons in charge of the platform are Professor Xiao Guozhi (Shenzhen Pengcheng scholar) and associate professor XieYucong (who has been selected by Shenzhen overseas high-level talent “Peacock Plan”). Now there are 7 engineers and they all have a doctoral degree, of which 6 people have been selected by the Shenzhen “Peacock Plan”. At present there are a total of 204 sets of various types of equipment, with the total value of over 50 million yuan. The platform has Nikon’s first imaging demonstration center in southern China–“Life Science Imaging Demonstration Center”.
The platform is located on the first floor of the First Research Building and provides the following services.
(1) DNA second-generation sequencing platform: It can provide automated nucleic acid extraction (QIACube), nucleic acid and protein imaging (gel imager), DNA quantitative analysis (ABI, BioRad qPCR instrument), and detection of trace nucleic acid (Agilent 2100 biochemical analyzer) and second-generation high-throughput sequencing services (Miseq Sequencer).
(2) Structure determination and interaction analysis of biological macromolecules.
(3) Cell imaging: a number of high-end microscopes, which can provide all kinds of (positive, inverted) basic fluorescence imaging; a variety of (point scanning, dial, multi-photon) confocal scanning fluorescence imaging; live cell dynamic imaging; fluorescence lifetime imaging and other services.
(4) Flow cytometric analysis and sorting: flow cytometryanalyzer (BD FACSCanto 4 10 colorslaser); flow cytometry sorter (BD FACSAria 5 15 colors laser).
(5) Small animal live imaging: IVIS Spectrum Imaging System(PerkinElmer, PE) mainly use bioluminescence and fluorescence, wherein bioluminescence uses luciferase gene for tagging cells or DNA, while fluorescence uses fluorescent reporter groups (GFP, RFP, Cyt and dyes, etc.) for tagging, and uses sensitive optical detection equipment for direct monitoring of in vivo cell activities and gene behavior in living organisms.
(6) Electrophysiological patch clamp platform: it can provide electrophysiological detection of isolated brain slices and cultured neurons, and the detection of the relations between molecular structure of ion channels and biological functions, the detection of pharmacological effects of myocardial cells and neurons, as well as preparation of isolated brain slices, etc.
(7) Biological electron microscopy: it can provide experimental services including transmission electron microscope data collection and processing of biomaterials and material samples, three-dimensional analysis of biological macromolecules, production of all kinds of electronic microscope samples, such as negative staining, ultra-thin sections, high pressure freezing-freeze-substitution.
(8) Tissue sections: it is equipped with an advanced, fully functional tissue biopsy chamber, which can be used for paraffin sections (Leica RM2255), frozen sections (Leica CM1950), ultrathin sections (Leica EM UC7), and dehydration (Leica ASP300S), embedding (Leica EG1150), dyeing and a series of processes.
List of equipments：http://mcpc.sustc.edu.cn/cn/device/list/
WELCOME TO BIOLOGY DEPARTMENT